Friday, November 6, 2009

"What are we doing tomorrow, mommy?"

Or next tuesday, saturday? I get this question a million times a day and its usually followed by "Can I have a friend come over?" SO to help keep some peace in our house, I came up with a weekly magnet board. Since she's only 5 a basic wipe-off board was not a solution for us, even though she can recgonize many words...especially the names of her friends...I did not want her lack of reading ability to get in the way of my "great" idea for peace.

Off to the craft store for ABC stickers and 'sheets' of magnet - they come in 4x6" and then to the office supply for a MAGNETIC wipe-off board. Ok, here's where my OCD creative-ness, four years of art school and 10 years of being a graphic designer come in. On the computer I created labels - which would become the magnets, just stick 'em to the magnet sheet & cut - one for everything in our life that we do & for everyone that we see often...grandma & papa, mimi, uncle roger, the cousins, her friends, dance class, gymnastics, even a "special day" for the fun things that come up during the year like going to the zoo - I found pictures for everything/everyone and then wrote out the word too...to help with "reading". Then school started and there were more magnets to be made...gym day, library day, no school - google art saved my day for getting images for things like these.

The idea is: every sunday we "fill-in" her calendar for the week. What's going on at school. Who is coming over. Whose house we're going to. Now, she can check HERSELF if tomorrow is gym day, whose coming over to play on wednesday or what we're doing on saturday.

Yes, this has really helped control the number of times I hear "what are we doing tomorrow" because now my answer is easy & simple "Go look on your calendar!" I think it puts whats going on in our lives more in her control. She's definatly the type of personality that needs to know whats going to be happening next.

2 comments:

More 4 Mums said...

What a great idea - you are obviously very creative!

J.Coffman said...

Love this!

Really speaks to me because I've let my family routine fizzle. This would be a wonderfully creative way to visually represent our routine.