Saturday, August 15, 2009

What to do When You're Child Has a Tooth Knocked Out?


Good question! I was perusing through a little pamphlet from Crest and ran across this question, "What if my child has a tooth knocked out"? I thought, good question...I hope I never have to find out! But then I thought that I would share this with all of you, because I found it rather interesting & important. Heaven forbid you're child is minus one adult tooth their whole life because you didn't know how to "save" it properly.

If a permanent tooth is knocked out, pick it up by the crown - that is the chewing end of the tooth. You can rinse it with water but do not scrub or dry it. This part seems crazy to me...but...carefully push the tooth back into the socket & hold in place. If this is not possible, have your child hold the tooth in their check (of course without swallowing it). OR...this seems like the best solution to me...place it in a glass of water with a pinch of salt. But see a dentist within 60 minutes!

I hope that none of us have to use this information. But its one of those good things to store in the back of your mind for JIC.

No comments: